Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Marvel's The Avengers

Hey everyone,


       I've seen the Avengers 5 times already. I cannot get over how awesome it is. Let me start out by tipping my hat to Chris Evans, the man who plays America's first superhero, Captain America. Created in March 1941, Captain America appeared in comic books months before Stan Lee began his career in Marvel. Captain America originally fought Nazis, if you didn't know. He gave America hope when we were at war. He made us confident again, and gave the populace the belief that good triumphs over evil. He disappeared for a time, but regained popularity during the Cold War, when he fought Communists. The 2011 movie, Captain America, is just the next step in his saga, regaining popularity once more. And let me say, Chris Evans is exactly the actor for the job. Everything about him looks all-American. He's red, white and blue apple pie, people. He's strikingly handsome, but not intimidating like a lot of actors. He looks like if you walked up to him and said hello, he'd talk to you. Now, Captain America leads the crew of Avengers, but he isn't the only one. Another Chris, Chris Hemsworth plays Thor. I'm sure you've all seen the movie Thor, but don't ruin it for me, because I haven't gotten around to seeing anything but the commercials. He's tall, he's Australian, and he's the only one hunky enough to fight the Hulk. I'm definitely a fan. Everyone's seen Iron Man and Iron Man 2, right? Nobody misses a Robert Downey Jr. movie. He is one of the most talented actors in America right now. From Due Date to the Sherlock Holmes movies to the Iron Man movies, he just won't quit. And while we're on the subject, his comeback is one of the most inspiring out there. You know he was this druggie actor that no one would touch, right? He couldn't get a single movie. But he got clean, he straightened out his act, and now he's top of the world. He's the poster boy for turn-arounds. He's proof you can do it. In the Avengers, he's funny, smart-ass, attractive, and a good contrast to the straight-forward Captain America and the frankly socially awkward Thor. I love him. To be honest, I haven't seen the Incredible Hulk. I didn't intend to. Everyone knows his story, it's been re-told so many times you'd have to live under a rock not to know it. But I have one thing to say about the Hulk. Those of you who can remember VeggieTales will understand. Everybody's got a Mark Ruffalo, yours is fast and mine is the Hulk. Mark Ruffalo is sweet, quiet and intelligent. It makes it all that more intense when he changes into the raging Hulk. I liked him a lot, but way more after seeing it the second time. Black Widow's friend, the archer, named Hawkeye is just talented enough to make you wonder if he's a lost Avenger that no one cares about. And as for Black Widow, I'm not impressed. Marvel having to pull in Scarlett Johansson to play the only female Avenger is not a choice I admire. She's attractive, but compared to her male counterparts, she winds up annoying and almost shrew-like. All in all, I loved the movie. In fact, I'm going to see it again this week. I can't get enough. I will say this, though. I would implore you to see Iron Man 2 and Captain America, at least, before seeing the Avengers. It makes wayyy more sense that way. If you have time, rent Thor. It'll be worth it, and all the back-story won't seem so confusing. Anyway, go out today and find a movie theater! It's definitely a movie to see, and if you like Chris Hemsworth enough, catch Snow White and the Huntsman while you're there. His talent might just deflect enough of the Kristen Stewart to make it watchable.


-Kaetie Mulhern

No comments:

Post a Comment